Saturday, December 10, 2011

Day 27 - I Am A Runner

Today's schedule run: 11 miles

Today's completed run: 11.01 (Yes; I just did that.)
Total time: 1:41:15 / Avg. pace: 9:11

Variables: Wind. Crazy, whipping wind.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." -John Bingham, marathoner and author
I realized today, as I was pounding the pavement, that I am, in fact, a runner. There's always going to be someone faster, someone better, someone with more endurance, someone with better form, someone who runs for 24-hours at a time, someone who [fill in the blank]. But that doesn't change the fact that I'm a runner; or the fact that anyone who runs any distance is a runner.

I've long said that running is a community sport, and I always get snarky when people treat it otherwise. You can't run alone. You might do the physical running by yourself, yes; but you're not really doing it alone. Even when you do the actual run alone, you probably see other runners. Plus, someone inspired you to run, or encouraged you to keep at it, or taught you how to run, or bought you a burrito after you ran (thanks, mom!). Even if it's only your running friends on the Internet, someone else is involved in your running. And that is a beautiful thing. We all run together.

Forgive the abrupt transition, but we're getting a little too transcendental here. So, let's move on.
Today I combined two familiar routes to make my 11 miles -- Ft. McHenry and the longer of two Inner Harbor routes. It was a glorious day -- 40 degrees and sunny -- though a bit windy, as noted above. I haven't yet figured out how to make myself more aerodynamic when encountering wind resistance; this is much easier on a bike, I think.

I didn't stop to take any pictures, even though the scenery was beautiful, because I was too busy running. Seriously, I loved today's run. Even better, I did it without any music, and that made me love it more. The miles seemed to go quickly, and I was so glad to be running in Baltimore. I was glad to finish and felt accomplished, but I know I could have done more had it been asked of me. I need to hold on to all of these great endorphins for the next time I encounter a run that makes me hate running.


Other great things about today:
1. I found out that my sister is expecting a baby, who we're calling Sticky for the time being. Pretty sure that's the cutest name ever.
2. Burrito for lunch. 'Nough said.
3. My mom got me a Christmas tree and a rug for my living room (FINALLY!). My house is more and more of a home every day.


Now, I absolutely must work on a take home final for my policy class. And probably watch Elf. I'm the worst student ever these days.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment