Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day 20 - W&OD Trail

Today's scheduled run: 6 miles

Today's completed run: 6.5 miles
Pace: 8:57

Greetings from Shirlington/Arlington/Alexandria, Va. It seems like I'm in all of those places at once. Really, they just all happen to intersect right where I ran today -- a portion of the Washington & Old Dominion Trail. I'm staying with a friend who lives within running distance of the trail, so I ran out of her neighborhood and headed out and back on the trail. It was a good run and a nice trail, though I was slightly annoyed by the "wanna be Lance Armstrong" cyclists. Out of at least 10 that went zooming by me, I can only recall one who announced their passing. Argh.

I enjoyed the run, and the weather was perfect. There is a hill in my friend's neighborhood that I went down at the very beginning of my run and was determined to go up at the very end of my run. It was a doozy, but it really shouldn't have been a doozy. I did it, but it made me realize how badly I need to start training on hills. I'm used to running where it's flat, and it's made me a sissy when it comes to hills. This is especially important if I decide to run the New River Marathon, or even half-marathon, in May.

I know what you're thinking. "Leslie... signing up for another marathon before you've even run your first?" I know, I know. I can't help it. I'm just so excited about running these days! I love this.

I plan to spend the rest of the afternoon cranking out a paper and will then enjoy some more friend time. I don't expect to have time for any official cross-training tomorrow, but I do plan to eat a very large brunch, so I'll make that count.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment