Monday, December 26, 2011

Day 43 - Two Are Better Than One

Today's scheduled run: 4 miles

Today's completed run: 4.07 miles
Pace: 8:30 (avg.)

It's a beautiful day in Baltimore - sunny and warm for December, though a bit windy. I forgot how many tourists would be out downtown today. Oh well. They'll just have a runner in a lot of their pictures around the Harbor. Inadvertent photo-bombing.

My mom gave me a heads-up this morning that the Today Show did a segment on Alopecia. It's embedded below. I find the hair restoration featured really interesting, and it seems like a great alternative to a wig for kids who want to be active. Who wants to worry about their wig falling off or getting wet when playing with your friends? Also, 1-in-50 people have Alopecia. That's crazy. That means I'm probably not the only one you know. I know I'm not the only one I know. I can think of three other people off the top of my bald head. (Pun intended)

I also really appreciated what the doctor said about how you can help someone with Alopecia. She is right in saying that it can be psychologically devastating. Since hair loss doesn't limit a person physically, it's hard to know how to help. It's not like bringing a meal to a person on bed rest or cleaning for a person recovering from surgery. But being there is greater than any meal cooked or bathroom cleaned. I'm so thankful for friends and family who support me in this, especially those who supported me in the early days, when my hair was still falling out. We need people to help us remember who we are, who God has created us to be, with or without hair.
"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow." - Ecclesiastes 4:9-10a (ESV)

Video from the Today show:

No comments:

Post a Comment