Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 22 - Social Workery Things

It's another rest day. I'm getting a little tired of rest days. I'm sure I won't feel that way when the mileage increases, but for now, they're getting a little old. It's okay, though, because I'm still cranking out papers and studying for tests -- both of which I must do tonight.

I was at P.S. 124 today, and my day was a bit longer than usual. After the students had left, I got caught in a conversation with a teacher. I see four of her students -- three in a group and one individually -- and I've had an inkling for some time that she's a little upset about the morale at P.S. 124. As it turns out, she's more than a little upset. Teachers at P.S. 124 lack support and encouragement, making their already challenging job extremely hard. Because I'm an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) concentrator, my ears perked up at her wanting to talk.

We talked for about 45 minutes -- she discussed struggles and frustrations, I listened, and then we brainstormed about things we might be able to do together to create a support system for her and other teachers. It's probably the most satisfying discussion I've had at P.S. 124 since I started back in August. Don't get me wrong -- I love the kids. But therapy with children is just not my jam, it appears. So, this was awesome. I'm excited to see where we're able to go with it.

In other social workery news - check out this NPR article from 2008: "A Victim Treats His Mugger Right"

That's all for now; life feels pretty boring, but I did promise a post each day.

Tomorrow we run!

No comments:

Post a Comment