Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day 24 - Running All Day

Today's scheduled run: 6 miles

Today's completed run: 6 miles
Pace: 9:05 (consistently; I was treadmillin' again.)

In actuality, I feel like I ran about 15 miles today, as I started running as soon as my feet hit the floor this morning. P.S. 124 kept me on my toes, with a visiting presenter, a few crises, lots of paperwork, and my normal client load. I didn't actually get everything I needed done before I had to leave for a training, so I'll go in on Friday to see a few more kids and meet with another staff member. A few notable happenings:
  1. An angry child put his foot (with a shoe, of course) right through the wall in the hallway.
  2. One of my students said to me, "You sound like one of those white chicks that talks." Okay then...
  3. Although I beat him twice at Connect4, I lost eight games of Tic-Tac-Toe... to a nine year old.
  4. We might be getting some back-up social workers! This is wonderful news, because two part-time and one full-time are not enough for P.S. 124.
After a two-hour training I attended this afternoon, I headed through the rain to the gym. It sounds like it was some treacherous walk, so I'll confess -- the gym is a block and a half from the building where my training took place. ::sheepish grin::

I felt pretty strong during the run, and it went faster than I'd expected, which is always nice. I wanted to actually run close to the pace I'm aiming for (9:09), since this is supposed to be a pace run anyway, so the 6.6 mph on the treadmill was ideal. I rocked out to some Florence + the Machine, a favorite of mine lately, in case you couldn't tell. I also watched more of Planet Green. This time, they were airing a show on a new engine created by Airbus. This thing was gigantic and cost an absurd amount of money. It was actually very interesting.

On the screen next to that, which I watched during commercial breaks, was the show Right This Minute. I'd never seen it before, but it's my kind of show. Two of the features were especially notable: "Hiya! The Taekwondo Fighting Hand" and one in which a wife/mom serving in Afghanistan surprised her family by popping out of a box. One made me laugh, one made me cry -- I'll let you figure out which was which.

Although the TVs distract me from the boredom of treadmilling, I don't really like getting lost in them anymore. I used to enjoy that, but now I find they distract me from my stride and make me forget to breathe evenly. I look forward to this rain stopping soon, so I can get outside.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment