Saturday, January 21, 2012

Day 68 - The Longest Run Yet

Today's scheduled run: a rest day

Today's completed run: 18 miles
Pace: 8:58 avg

Because of a less than favorable forecast for Saturday, I moved my long run to Friday. This is the second time I've done the long run on a Friday rather than Saturday, and I must say I really enjoy it. It feels like I give myself the whole weekend as a present. It's a good thing I did, too, because we have snow on the ground here in DC where I'll be for the beginning part of the weekend (and where I'd planned to run the 18 miles). It's not much, just a covering, but it's enough to make me unhappy. I expect it will turn to a sleety, slushy mess, in which I would not want to run 18 miles. Depending on the weather, I'll consider a short recovery run, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't really like winter, in case I hadn't told you that.

I felt good for most of today's run. It's actually pretty cool to reach the double digits and feel like it was just a normal run. It's also very encouraging to hear myself think, "Ok - only five more miles." It doesn't seem like all that long ago when five miles was a Saturday long run. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm accomplishing something here. It's easy to criticize my performance by calling to mind people who are faster, better, etc.; so I have to remember that I'm training for a marathon. It's no small feat, and it's something of which I should be proud. I hope you feel the same way about your accomplishment, both fitness related and others.

I just heard a plow go by. Maybe I'll get that recovery run in after all. Until then, I'm 18-miles tired and off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment